It is important to have a good understanding of the healing process in holistic medicine. In most cases, health does not improve as a straight upwards line, and have up and down. Sometimes, the body needs a bit of time to adjust and sometime, other external events come along the way.
If you have any questions while on treatment, please have a good read, and contact me afterwards to clarify what is happening.
Understanding how your support plan works
You will receive your support plan a couple of days after your appointment. It will be made of a combination of the following: homeopathic remedies, herbal remedies, supplements, nutritional & lifestyle advice. It is always tailored to your own individual’s specific needs as put to light during the consultation process.
For most chronic cases, a series of consultation, usually every 6 weeks, but sometime every 3, 6 or 12 months, are necessary to help the person recover an autonomous, healthy living standard.
The consultation process and what to look out for while taking the support plan
New patients are sometimes surprised by the volume of questions asked by a homeopath. This is because we need to understand how your body shows its own specific and particular way to address an imbalance or infection…. in holistic medicine, there is no “generic” condition and so a thorough consultation with each patient is essential.
For example, someone presenting with a cough would be asked a range of questions to identify the specifics of their condition, such as:
- Describe the type of cough
- How frequently do you cough?
- Does the cough produce any mucous?
- Is it worse (or more frequent) at certain times of day or in certain locations?
- Is it noticeably improved at certain times of day or under particular conditions?
- Are you aware of any other new symptoms or changes that have occurred in conjunction with the cough?
The answers to these questions (and many more!) will provide useful information to understand the specificity of the individual’s cough.
Check if the answers to these questions change while on treatment. As you become aware of the specificity of your condition, you will provide more insights. Even simple conditions can take time to clear, and for this reason, more than one consultation is often required. Knowing precisely what has changed will help find a more long lasting healing strategy in that case.
Finally, the healing intelligence of the body will always address the deeper issues first. For example, if a child presents for first consultation with mild eczema, and that eczema does not seemingly improve after a month on the homeopathic support plan but the child is much calmer, quieter and appears fitter, then this would be considered very positive, as the internal balance is being more controlled and returned closer to a normal equilibrium. Further treatment should help with the superficial skin issues.
NEW SYMPTOMS – what does it mean?
New symptoms are different from worsening symptoms. They can occur for a variety of reasons, such as a specific external trigger, or an old symptom returning after clearing the main one. If there is no risk to health, it is better to see if the new symptoms go by themselves, and if not, discuss them at the next consultation.
SYMPTOMS NOT FULLY CLEARING OR NOT IMPROVING?
Healing can take time, and the healing response will depend on a variety of issues, such as:
- Does the patient have enough resources to have a healing responses (sometimes a hidden situation, such as anaemia or poor diet can prevent the body to heal)
- Are there other issues that the consultation has not uncovered (for example a hidden parasitic infection, or something note shared during the consultation)
- The prescription was not addressing the main causes behind the health issues, and in this case, a new investigation is required
- The body has been in poor health for too long, and requires more time to start a recovery.
- Other issues
Usually, a new consultation, and possibly new diagnostic tests used. If it is safe, it if OK to wait for the follow-up consultation
EXISTING SYMPTOMS GETTING WORSE – what does it mean?
While Thierry takes special care for this not to happen, it is sometimes the case that the actual symptoms get worse. This can happen for instance with digestive or skin problems, and also for auto-immune issues when people are sensitive to everything they eat. There are various reasons for it:
– Most commonly, the patient may have very weak resources, and more potent supplementation may be required, and suggested possibly after a blood test.
– Also, there may be severe organ weakness or toxicity, preventing the body to have a good healing response – this can also be investigated with diagnostic tools.
– The patient may be over-sensitive to some remedies and over-react. This can happen with people with thyroid issues, and this can be easily corrected by reducing the dosage or slightly changing the prescription.
Contact Thierry Clerc by email if you are in this situation.
Stopping Conventional / Chemical Drugs
If you are on a prescribed chemical medication and wish to stop using it, you should consult your GP and explain that you are seeking alternative treatment to support you during withdrawal. We are happy to discuss your situation and our suggestions with your GP if he/she wishes to do so. Under no circumstances should you suddenly stop taking prescribed chemical medication.
What to do while Thierry Clerc is away
We recommend that people try to self prescribe. The Ainsworths “42 Essential Remedies” Kit can be purchased on this. Just click the picture on the right. It comes with a detailed self-help manual. If we are away or not available, you can use the Homeopathic Helpline (Tel: 09065343404). It provides homeopathic advice 7 days a week from 9am to midnight (£1.50/min).
Finally, at times, illness is serious and beyond home treatment, and it is absolutely necessary to consult a reputable health practitioner, your GP or the emergency service, whatever you think is most appropriate. If there is any doubt about an illness you must consult a health professional.
How long will the treatment take?
Some improvement is usually felt very quickly, but full healing can take time. It usually depends on the vitality and the vitality of the patient and the complexity of the issue. See “The Healing Process – can it help me? “.